March 25, 2019 / Blog / il-admin
What is Independent Senior Living?
An independent living community is a great choice for active older adults requiring little to no assistance with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs and IADLs), such as housekeeping, laundry, medication management, hygiene assistance and toileting assistance.
As you start researching options for independent living near you, keep in mind that an independent living retirement community provides a carefree lifestyle, usually offering these benefits and amenities:
- An apartment-style residence, generally available in sizes ranging from studio to two bedrooms, equipped with a small kitchen or kitchenette
- Communal dining with custom-designed meal packages
- Housekeeping and laundry services provided
- No yard work or routine household maintenance chores
- An activity calendar filled with scheduled social events, activities and exercise classes
- Since most amenities and services are included in your rent, you have fewer bills to manage
Enjoy an Active Lifestyle at an Independent Living Community
Activities are planned to encompass a variety of interests. Although participation isn’t required, it is encouraged so everyone has the opportunity to make new friends, stay active and develop new interests and hobbies.
Independent living communities focus on the active lifestyles of today’s older adult; and, they strive to nurture the mental, emotional and physical well-being of their residents. Other benefits and amenities may include:
- 24-hour security/staff presence
- Fitness centers with exercise machines and fitness classes
- Swimming pools and whirlpools
- Community centers/Clubhouses
- Some form of transportation
- Tennis, basketball and volleyball courts
- Picnic areas with barbeque grills and pavilions
- On-site laundry facilities
- On-site hair salons
- On-site convenience stores
With so many benefits and amenities that may be offered, it’s important to determine which are important to you and then to pick a community that offers those specific benefits and amenities.
Residents in most independent living communities are allowed and encouraged to furnish and decorate their apartments according to their own individual preferences. However, it’s best to check with each community to ensure using your own décor is allowed.
Independent living tends to be less expensive than other housing options that provide more personal care and healthcare related services. The average cost of independent living can range between $1,500 to $3,500 depending on location, amenities, care offered on-site, apartment size and services provided. The cost generally includes housing and maintenance expenses, utilities, amenities and community activities. Meal plans vary among communities and may be included in the cost or may be an add-on item.
To learn more about independent senior living in Kalispell at Immanuel Lutheran Communities, please contact us today.